The blog post is going to be slightly different compared to my other posts. It’s not a game development essay, or a game design showcase, or even a blog post about a particular game or event. This blog is purely about what to expect from me, and my board game publishing company, Crab Studios, in the next year or so.
Here we are; we have arrived at my most anticipated post in this series of development diaries. First and foremost, I am a game designer, so my favourite topic in game development is, of course, design!
Now I love reading and listening to other designers, learning from them, and I enjoy engaging with another designer's philosophy. However, I completely understand and respect that most people not in this space wouldn't be too interested. Instead, I wanted to format this post to be more relatable to a broader audience. So instead, let's talk about my design goals from the beginning of the game's development and how I accomplished those goals.
Welcome back to the second installment in this short mini-series of blog posts. If you are reading this back in the future, I’m sure somewhere on the site (either the sidebar of the blog or a subpage) I will have have collated all of these development diaries about Langskip into one.
Anyway, this post is now about the transition of theme, from Cat Game to Viking Game (aka Langskip). I partially covered this in the last blog post but in much less detail as it was to mainly highlight the change in mechanisms, deck size and handsize. This post is all about theme!
As UK Games Expo is just around the corner, and IRL playtesting and demos are coming back in full force, I thought now would be the perfect time to share my insight into making any game succeed at a convention.
To start this post off, I will briefly tell a tale of my first con, Play Expo Manchester 2019. I was the new kid on the block and surrounded by peers twice my seniority concerning age, about five times my senior regarding experience.
Langskip, wasn't always Langskip. In fact, it was a struggle mentally to start recounting the events of the past year for this development diary so early because of how different the game was back then to how it is now. On the other hand, as I imagine the position of you, the reader, I've also considered that it could be interesting just to see the progression from the beginning, right up until the end. So let's start with the beginning.
First and foremost, I apologize if you take this as "adding to the fire" or whatnot, but I wanted to make a blog post about my first actual viral Facebook thread, which had over 550 comments and 70 reactions in just a couple of days. The topic of this thread was about the adverse reaction towards Frosthaven Kickstarter Update #80, as well as the way that the community voiced that adverse reaction, namely in the way some chose to bomb the Frosthaven Board Game Geek page ratings as well as swarm a couple of threads on the same page. Still, once again, I ask for forgiveness if you see this as being purposefully controversial, as I know a few had voiced those concerns on Facebook. Still, I want to discuss this topic in more detail, using some insights from the Facebook post's comment section.
Also, as an additional note, please do not take what I write as my personal opinion on anything related to the update; I'm merely trying to observe and hopefully add value to the topic.
Hello, my name is Niall Crabtree, and this is my comprehensive blog showcasing all of my game development endeavors and successes, as well as essays on game design.
Receive an email every two weeks with all the articles I produce so you never miss one!